New digital marketing technologies are emerging almost every month, and customer behaviour reports are being produced more often than ever.
Choosing the right channels to share the right message to the right target has become a big issue for most businesses. Fortunately, there is an approach that can put you on the right track and allow you to make the best marketing decisions, making you the “Rockstar” of your team. This approach is called “SOSTAC“. This article will show you how a modern marketing approach can be implemented in a simple and straightforward way, allowing you to make smart and effective decisions and generate exceptional results. Faced with the growth of digital marketing, many brands wanted to be present on all channels without really knowing why.
This not only generates bad results but often leads to fatal positions and even crises of considerable magnitude for companies. Any marketing effort must be subject to prior planning, it is this planning that will guide future actions that will achieve the goals and objectives set. This will have an impact on the digital growth of the company. The SOSTAC model is precisely your best ally for good planning, it is one of the most popular marketing plan models because of its ease of structuring campaigns.
The SOSTAC methodology is an acronym for the following words:
- Situation: How is your business doing at the moment?
- Objectives: What objectives do you want to achieve?
- Strategy: How do you plan to get there?
- Technique: What tools will you use to achieve this?
- Action: What actions will you take?
- Control: How do you plan to measure your results? When you apply the SOSTAC method to your organization (campaign or product), you will have to take into consideration certain factors related to the environment in which your company or your product evolves from the micro and macro point of view.
Here are some tools that will help you analyze the current situation of your business and allow you to identify the context in which your campaign will be developed: 1.
- The product life cycle – which gives an overview of the product situation of the in terms of maturity and growth.
- PESTEL – A useful framework for analyzing the external environment
- The 7 P model, used to gain an overview of the positioning of the product. From there, he helps to know his competitive advantage by comparing the results with Porter’s 5 forces model.
- The SWOT analysis summarizing all the results of this step. The key to getting the best results is to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve. To do this, I suggest that you design between 2 and 4 SMART objectives that will feed your marketing strategy.
Marketing strategy – How to achieve your goals? At this point, no need to go very far in the details, you just need to know concretely what will determine your competitive advantage. Will it be the price, the quality of the service or the product? If you still have some grey areas on this subject, the framework of the generic strategies of Porter is always a good starting point. Once you know where the strategy is going, think about the target market and how best to reach it. The good questions to ask at this level are:
1. What are the most appropriate criteria for segmenting the entire population? Demography, behaviour, geographic location? A mix?
2. Which segments should be targeted by my message?
3. Will I target all the chosen segments in the same way, or with different messages or communication channels for each? Professional advice: As marketing is becoming more targeted and technology is evolving faster than ever, it becomes essential that marketing communications be as relevant as possible. Therefore, a differentiated approach is most recommended and there are multiple tools that can be used (mainly in the digital world) to target customers with personalized messages.
4. What are the most appropriate channels to reach my target customers? Will my campaigns be online, offline, or both? Tip: In general, a mixture of the two types of communication (online-offline) is recommended.
Note that B2B and B2C marketing has undergone a major transition to online media because they allow advanced targeting, offer better monitoring of results and are more economical. Remember that at this point, you just need an overview of your campaign direction, not detailed actions. Answering these simple questions will keep you on the right track and give you the information you need to choose the right tactic to achieve your goals. The ideal tactic to achieve your goals.
To better understand how to shape your campaign and what competitive advantages you should highlight, use the 7P model. 7P marketing includes all of the following: Product, Place, Price, Promotion, People, Material Evidence and Process.
However, it places the consumer at the heart of the strategy. Read also A lawyer by training, I developed a passion for digital and acquired solid skills in the creation of digital content. For me, digital marketing is the key to the success of businesses in the 21st century.